Immunet uses cloud computing to provide one of the best free antivirus programs available. It runs on Windows computers, is really easy to use, and is far less bloated than most antivirus solutions.
The software stays connected to a network of millions of users and utilizes this community to build their defense. When Immunet detects a threat on one computer, it instantly blocks that threat from all the other computers that’s part of the network.
What We Like
- Real-time threat detection; never needs a manual definition update.
- Requires a relatively small amount of RAM to run.
- Can be used alongside other antivirus programs.
- Settings are easy to understand.
What We Don’t Like
- Doesn’t scan email databases.
- No automatic detection of viruses on USB drives.
- Doesn’t always function correctly offline.
Immunet installs in less than 60 seconds and requires less than 1 GB of space on your computer. Here are some other details to keep in mind:
- FlashScan: Encourages this scan type right after installing to check for threats in running processes and startup registry keys.
- Blocking Mode: Includes this optional feature you can enable in the settings to prevent new program installations until they’ve been determined as safe (the safe check takes just a fraction of a second).
- Protection variety: Provides intelligent, on-demand scans to detect viruses, spyware, bots, worms, keyloggers, Trojans or remote access Trojan, etc., even within archived files.
- Custom scans: Run a custom scan if you need to check a specific folder or hard drive. This also works via the right-click menu.
- Scheduled scans: You can set up scheduled scans so that Immunet will run a full, flash, or custom scan every day, week, or month.
- Automatic quarantine: Includes the ability to turn off or turn on the quarantining of malicious and/or suspicious files.
- Exclusions: You can add a file, folder, file extension, or threat name to the exclusions list so that it’s ignored as a threat. Several exclusions are provided by default to avoid conflicting with other antivirus programs and Windows files.
- Gaming Mode: Lets you use Gaming Mode to suppress all notifications.
- History log: The file history log provides a detailed report of everything the program is doing, from running scans to detecting threats and blocking processes. You can even search through it by keyword and filter by date.
- Engine options: Enable or disable ETHOS and SPERO cloud detection engines. You can also turn on the ClamAV engine to detect threats offline.
- Windows support: It works with Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Server versions 2022 through 2008 R2.
A Final Verdict on the Program
Immunet works across a range of Windows versions, so nearly any Windows user can take advantage of it. Plus, since it can run in conjunction with other antivirus software like AVG and Kaspersky, it doesn’t stop you from using it even if you prefer to run other security related programs.
However, while using Immunet with other AV programs initially seems like a plus, notifications can seem annoying and never-ending if the programs contradict each other, which can be the case depending on your computer’s antivirus settings.
Immunet’s user interface isn’t the most attractive and it feels outdated, but since the program performs admirably, it shouldn’t be much of a consideration (though it does desperately need a visual update to compete with modern antivirus solutions).
A major plus is that it’s always connected to the internet (as long as you are) and so can always update its defense definitions with information every other Immunet user gathers. This is the company’s largest selling point and, frankly, about the only thing that sets it apart from other antivirus programs.
This antivirus solution, however, can completely replace similar software from companies like McAfee and Norton that charge for their programs and for yearly access to important, often crucial updates. This constant updating, plus the cloud-based defense, make Immunet one of the most attractive free antivirus programs available.