What to Know
- Tap Plus (+) sign > tap Live > enter the title > tap Go Live.
- Schedule Live Events or Go Live Together if you want to stream with other users.
- To protect your privacy, turn off location services and set up a private account.
This article explains how to live stream on TikTok. The instructions apply to both iOS and Android devices.
How to Go Live on TikTok
If you meet the necessary requirements, going live on TikTok is simple and fast.
Launch the TikTok app, then tap the Plus (+) sign at the bottom of your screen.
On the video screen, tap the Live option next to your recording icon.
Enter a title for your live stream. Once your title is ready, tap Go Live to begin your live stream.
Some keywords are now censored on TikTok, such as "donation," "follow," etc. Be smart about how you title your live streams and don't use terms to trick people into clicking through.
TikTok Live Limitations
Although the Live feature is super simple to use, there are certain limitations for privacy and security purposes. For example, users under the age of 16 are unable to host a live stream via TikTok.
To use the live stream feature, you must also have at least 1,000 followers, although this number differs in different countries across the globe. Also, since the feature is still considered to be in testing, it's unclear if there's a time limit for how long a live stream can be.
TikTok users who qualify for livestreams can also create Live Events, which are a less spontaneous version of the standard Live feature. This tool lets you schedule a session and promote it to ensure as many people as possible will attend and receive notifications once the Live Event starts.
Go Live Together
Another option is Go Live Together, which is a streaming version of the existing Duets collaboration tool. With this feature, multiple accounts can join the same broadcast.
TikTok Live Safety Tips
Planning to go live using TikTok? It's important to keep your online safety and privacy in mind while doing so. Here are some useful tips to remember as you create your live videos:
- Guard your personal information: As you live stream, make sure you avoid giving away personal info such as your name, address, phone number, etc. Also, ensure you don’t have personal info in the background of your videos or any landscape or scenery that may give away your whereabouts.
- Turn off location services: Turning location services off prevents others from pinpointing your exact location while streaming.
- Try a private account: If you’re concerned about your videos being seen by strangers, you can try a private account. With this setting, only those you approve can view your live stream.
- Avoid live-streaming distracted: Don’t live stream while driving or operating anything that moves. This can cause serious accidents.
- Can I go live on TikTok on my PC?
Yes, but you need to use live-streaming software that integrates with TikTok like OBS or Streamlabs.
- How do I go live with someone on TikTok?
To use Go Live Together, have the other person go live, then join as a viewer. Then, go to the comments section and select the two smiley faces to request to go live together.
- How do I create a live event on TikTok?
To make a TikTok live event, go to your profile and tap the Calendar icon. Tap Create an event and enter the details.