What To Know
- To forward an email thread, Conversation View must be enabled in Gmail. Conversation View is the default setting, but make sure it's on.
- In your Gmail inbox screen, select Settings (gear). Scroll to the bottom and check Conversation View under Email Threading.
- To forward a conversation, find it in your inbox. Select it, and press More > Forward All. Add comments, and press Send.
This article explains how to enable Conversation View in Gmail and use it to forward entire conversation threads at once. With Conversation View enabled, Gmail groups all emails with the same subject line (Gmail ignores prefixes such as Re: and Fwd:) into one conversation, so you can forward them as if they were one email.
Enable Conversation View
To enable Conversation View in Gmail:
In the Gmail inbox screen, select Settings (gear icon).
Conversation View is enabled by default on newer Gmail accounts. Use these steps to ensure that it is enabled.
Scroll to the bottom of the box until you see Email Threading, then place a check in the box next to Conversation View.
You'll see a message that Gmail must reload to turn on Conversation View. Select Reload.
You've enabled Gmail Conversation View.
With Conversation View off, each email appears in your inbox by itself in reverse chronological order.
Forward a Complete Thread or Conversation of Emails in Gmail
To forward an entire conversation in one message with Gmail:
Go to your inbox and click on the conversation you want to forward.
Go to the toolbar and select More (three dots).
Choose Forward all.
Gmail displays the contents of the new email, which is entitled Forwarded Conversation.
Add any comments to the email and address the message. Select Send to send the conversation along with your comments.
You can also forward multiple messages from one conversation or many as attachments in Gmail.
- How do I forward only one part of an email thread in Outlook?
Open the email chain and find the specific message you want to forward in the chain. Next, select either the right arrow icon or down arrow icon in the top-right of the email window and select Forward. Type your message (if you want to type one), then select Send.
- How do I forward one message from an email chain in Gmail?
Open the email chain and find the specific message you want to forward, then select the three dots icon in the top-right corner and select Forward from the drop-down menu. Type out a message if needed, then select Send.