AOMEI Partition Assistant SE is a free disk partitioning software program with all the basic partitioning tools you’d expect, along with some advanced functions you won’t find everywhere.
Apart from the ability to copy, extend, resize, delete, and format partitions, one particularly interesting feature is the ability to create a bootable Windows PE OS that runs the software before Windows starts up.
What We Like
Interface is easy to use and understand.
Supports most common partitioning tasks.
Uses step-by-step wizards for quick task completion.
Is able to run before Windows starts.
Able to queue up lots of changes and then apply them at once.
Includes other useful drive tools.
Supports several languages.
What We Don’t Like
Unable to convert dynamic disks to basic disks.
Can't convert between primary and logical partitions.
Additional features are included only in the Pro version.
This review is of AOMEI Partition Assistant SE v9.10.0, which was released on September 8, 2022. Please let us know if there’s a newer version we need to review.
More Information on AOMEI Partition Assistant SE
- Runs on Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7
- A Windows PE bootable disc or USB device can be created with AOMEI Partition Assistant SE, and then used to manage partitions in the event that you can’t start the operating system or if you want to avoid having to reboot after certain changes
- Everything you do is queued and won’t apply to the disks until you select Apply, after which all the operations will complete, one after the other in the order that you chose them
- Can extend the system partition without needing to reboot the computer
- App Mover lets you free up space by moving applications to a different drive
- Resizing a partition is very easy because you can either enter the values in manually to define the partition size or slide a button left or right to make it smaller or larger
- Two adjacent partitions can be merged into one with the easy using the Merge Partitions wizard
- A copy wizard lets you copy all the contents from one hard drive or partition, and put it on another; You’re able to choose to copy just the data or to copy the whole drive/partition, sector by sector, including the free space
- You can also migrate the operating system to a different hard drive, which is the same thing as the copy function but requires a reboot
- All the partitions on a drive can be quickly removed with one click
- New partitions can have any of the following file systems set up: NTFS, FAT/FAT32, exFAT, EXT2/EXT3, or left unformatted
- A converter can change the file system to and from NTFS and FAT32 without erasing the data
- Includes a solid state drive (SSD) erase wizard so that you can set your SSD back to its factory default state
- Scheduled defrags let you run automated defrags daily, weekly, monthly, or via an event trigger.
- Two partitions can be joined together as one without losing data
- A portable version can be created from inside the program
- Partitions can be hidden as well as split into two
- The MBR can be rebuilt from scratch
- An option lets the program shut down the computer when all editing has completed
- The Partition Recovery Wizard can be used to attempt to restore lost or deleted partitions
- Select files and folders can be permanently removed with various data sanitization methods, including Write Zero, Random Data, DoD 5220.22-M, or Gutmann
- A disk surface test can see if there are any damaged sectors on the disk
- You’re able to convert disks between MBR and GPT
- Supports changing the drive letter as well as the volume label
- Partitions and hard drives can be wiped clean to remove all the data
- The built-in cleaner can remove junk files from your computer to free up space, and specifically find large files
- Chkdsk can be run against any partition to attempt to repair errors
Thoughts on AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard Edition
We've used several free partitioning tools, and we have to say that we really like AOMEI Partition Assistant SE. Not only is the interface well-thought-out and easy to use, but it also has all the basic, and advanced, features anyone would expect…all for free.
One feature worth mentioning again is the Windows PE version. With it, you set up partitions with ease even if you don’t have an operating system installed. The program is the same as the one that runs in Windows but is instead launched from a disc or USB device, like a flash drive.
You can build this Windows PE disc from the “Make Bootable Media” wizard, which lets you burn directly to a disc or USB device, as well as export the program to an ISO file, which you can then use in a virtual machine or burn to a disc or burn to a USB device yourself.
Because there’s also a professional version of AOMEI Partition Assistant, there are a handful of features that aren’t available in this Standard Edition. Even so, there are still more useful tools in this free version than we’ve seen with other free disk partitioning programs.